Here’s my notes of what makes Gmail different and better than other web based email or the email addresses that come with your internet service.
- Don’t delete messages, archive them.
- Lots of space (7.5GB and growing). Many services give you only 1GB.
- Quickly search and find messages (because you didn’t delete them, you archived)
- View your messages as conversations (all emails, replies, & forwards will be joined into a conversation to keep you focused on the topic at hand)
- No Spam! Gmail has some of the best “spam” filers. I don’t remember the last time I received spam.
- Brand New: Priority Mailbox- allow gmail to auto sort your mail into Important emails, regular emails, and emails which you star as important.
- Label emails rather than put them into folders. You can give an email multiple labels to help you sort and organize.
- Use a filter to apply labels and actions automatically as mail arrives.
- Free IMAP and POP access to your mail when you’re offline. Some webmail services charge for these features.
- And much more… aka “labs” with new features and additions.
Gmail is always growing and changing. But I love using it.
Personally, I am using a Macbook Pro with an SSD Hard Drive so space is a premium and I’m glad I can keep my 4 GB of email and attachments online and not cluttering up my computer.
Got a gmail tip of your own, post is and share it with the rest of us.