Many of you have chosen to use a PC as your primary computer. But the topic of security eludes most of us.
We know we should have a firewall to protect access to our precious files. And we know to purchase an Anti-virus program like one of the biggees (Norton Antivirus, McAfee, etc.) But what is Anti-Spyware? What about Anti-Malware? Have you heard about HIPS protection? And it seems like the list could go on and on. At some point the thought crosses our mind… “Do I really want 5 programs running on my computer before I do anything?” “My computer seems to be running so slowly these days…”
I have always recommended the Trinity of security Applications: Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, & Firewall. If you want a list of very good and free software, go to http://www.techsupportalert.com.
But security starts before you install any of these programs. And these TIPS are for all computer users.
- Keep your Operating System up to date with the latest software updates. Windows or Mac, it doesn’t make a different. Check those updates and install them regularly.
- Keep your key programs updated as well. Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, Flash Player, Java, Firefox/Chrome/Other Web Browsers, etc.
- Windows users, I just came across this program that comes highly recommended. Personally I don’t use a PC anymore so I haven’t tried it. But the concept is solid. The program is called GeSWall and it’s available here. The concept is to build a wall between your computers files and your internet activity, thereby keeping the bad stuff away from affecting your computer and files.
- One of my favorite internet guru’s, Gizmo Richards, features more great tips on his website.
- Have you got a great tip too? Leave them in the comments section for all to see.
One thought on “Computer Security For Your PC (Mac users read the tips)”
Pingback: Financial Security in an Online World | Arlen Nagata . com
Comments are closed.